Wednesday, November 19

Testing, Testing...1, 2, 3.14159265

I decided it would be a good idea to test Jessie and see how well she is really doing with "school". We don't do a lot of serious schooly stuff and I wanted to be sure she was doing as well as ( kindly and well meaning but basically ignorant ) folks tell me she is!!! We ordered some tests (I say we, I mean I... she had nothing to do with this part!) and they arrived last week. I wanted to get them done and out of the way so we got cracking right away! The tests weren't hard but were time consuming and I didn't want her to burn out on them, so over the next few days we worked on some here and some there... the hardest part for me was not helping her when she would ask me " What does THIS mean??" and "HOW do I figure THIS one out!?!?" especially when it came to math and she was stressing herself out no end... poor mite... Anyway we got through them and came out on the other side non the worse for wear!! I thought I would go through them before I mailed it all off, so I could get a feel for how well she did. I thought she was doing really well so was pretty unconcerned... ahem. Ooops. I started "grading" them and, yes, check, check, check, check..... what? uh oh. Oh no.... there was an entire section that she clearly didn't understand the question... Not one right answer among them. Oh dear. LOL!! Well! I suppose we know what we need to work on, right?!?! :D So I gave up on grading and bundled the lot into and envelope and got it into the mail. It's out of our hands now and we'll just have to wait and see what comes back! I'm nervous as heck! :D She's fine with it all because I did a great job of convincing her it doesn't matter what it says, it will simply be a bench mark, a guide line, somewhere to work from..... now can someone please try and convince ME !!??!? LOL!!!!

2 comments:

Daryl Hrdlicka said...

(pat pat pat) There there... you try!

Okay, seriously. The questions aren't DESIGNED to be answered completely. Only a certain amount are at (or below) the grade level being tested, the rest are there to see how much MORE she knows. They throw in some tough ones to see if she gets advanced concepts and calculations, but isn't really expected to know them.

And I've seen you in action, you're a great teacher. Lighten up, woman!

Gorgeous. said...

Awwwww...!! Thanks Daryl! : D