Thursday, February 28

Simple Scones!

Oh sleep... you elusive beast!  Tempting me in the darkness.  I close my eyes and feel your warm, deep caress...PAH.  Sleep my eye.  Millie was up seemingly all night last night!!  I'm sure she wasn't really.. just felt that way!!  So today I was a bit...um... groggy?!

We didn't have much planned today, just a trip into town to meet hubby this morning ( which I cancelled since I thought I was too tired to MOVE let alone get myself and Millie up and ready and drive downtown... bleurgh! ) and a trip to the Homeschool co-op in the afternoon for Drama.

Once I'd managed to get up and dressed the kids and I tried a science experiment!  It worked pretty well... we rubbed a balloon to get it static then we rubbed a strip off a plastic bag to get THAT all static then we were able to levitate the plastic off the balloon!!  Kind of neat!  I'm sure pictures would have been GREAT.... I did mention about the "no sleep" thing, right?! :D

We managed to get out to Drama and back with little, um, drama..! and upon our return Jackster said he would like to make scones.  I had PROMISED him we would make scones and so felt we should indeed do so.  I decided to make it into a positive so I had him read the recipe ( where we learned key words such as Flour, Baking Powder, Sugar  and abbreviations such as tsp. and tbsp.) he got out all the ingredients and did the measuring ( where we learned Cup, Teaspoon, 1/2 teaspoon, 3/4 cup and so on ) I helped him when he got stuck but basically stepped back and let him do it himself.   He did a super job and somehow they actually turned out better than mine!!  (I'm still stumped on that one!)  He did say he wanted to be a cook, so there ya go, I guess he's going to make a good one!!  Orders anyone?!


Gathering the ingredients
Measuring
Carefully getting them out the oven


Ta Dah!


Yummy!


And in case you would like to make some too, here's the recipe.. it's so simple even a child can do it! 


FAVORITE SCONES
Printed from COOKS.COM

1/3 c. butter
1 3/4 c. flour
3 tbsp. sugar
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 egg, beaten
1/2 c. currants or raisins, optional
4 to 6 tbsp. half and half or milk


Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut butter into flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt until mixture resembles fine crumbs. 

Stir in 1 egg, currants and enough half and half so dough leaves the sides of the bowl.
Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; knead 10 times.

We did not roll them out, we just tore off chunks and rolled them into balls.  MUCH easier!  ((Roll 1/2 inch thick; cut with round or heart shaped cutters. ))

Place on ungreased cookie sheet

Bake until golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes remove immediately. Serves 15. Split scones and serve with butter, jams and jellies.

No comments: