Monday, October 11

A spectacular day..... sort of !! ;D

Spectacular in the amount of things, one after the other, that went wrong today!!! Still, the kids are now sleeping, hubby has built me some shelves to store food in the basement, I have a cup of tea at my fingertips and chocolate in the pantry!! Soon I'll be watching Bones on my super comfy couch, sipping tea ( or something a liiiiittle stronger.... ) eating chocolate and snuggling my spouse and the horrors of the day will seem like a little joke the universe was playing with me!!! Silly Universe!! ;D

One of the spectacular events of the day was when I exploded Red Bean and Sweet Potato Chili all over the inside of my microwave. I mean ALL OVER. **sigh**
My dear and loving friends over at Facebook, upon hearing my tragedy, instantly requested the recipe. Maybe they have a grudge against their microwaves or they REALLY love cleaning. Anyhoo....! Here it is! ;D


Chipotle-Kissed* Red Bean and Sweet Potato Chili.
(Fresh From the Vegetarian Slow Cooker by Robin Robertson.)

* I did NOT use Chipotle in mine. So there.

1 tbsp. Olive oil.
1 med size yellow onion, chopped
I med sized red bell pepper, seeded and chopped **
** I did not use red bell pepper as I didn't have any. Again, so there.
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 tbsp. chili powder or more to taste.
1 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
1 14.5 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 1/2 cups red kidney beans, slow cooked OR 1 15.5oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed. ***
*** I only had soy beans and so used those.... sue me! ( don't sue me....!)
1 1/2 cups water
salt
1 tablespoon minced canned chipotle chilies in adobo sauce or to taste. ****
**** As I said earlier I did NOT use chipotle... :D

Heat the oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper and garlic, cover and cook until softened, about 5 mins. Stir in the chili powder and cook for 30 seconds. Add the sweet potatoes and stir to coat with the spices. Transfer the mixture to a 4-6 quart slow cooker. Add the tomatoes, beans and water, season with salt, cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. ( I cooked it on high for 4-6 hours... I'm always running behind! )

When ready to serve stir the chipotles into the chili.

Serve with warm cornbread muffins... you know... if you want to that is! ;D

..... but DON'T reheat in the microwave!!! :D You have been warned!! ;D

No comments: