Thursday, July 10

Ok! OK!! The Vegan Cherry Sponge Cake Recipe! :D

I wsa checking through the blog and noticed someone all the way from Latvia found my blog looking for the Vegan Cherry Sponge Cake recipe!! Oh the guilt!! I'll post it right now!!!!

Basic Vegan Sponge Cake
I found this on the realfood.org.uk website and have modified it to make it U.S. friendly! :D

First mix until well incorporated......

1 1/2 cup of water
1 1/8 cup sugar ( I used half brown and half white... it makes it sort of chewy!) (in a good way!)
vanilla essence to taste
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp oil ( Canola)


Then add, a little at a time...

1 1/2 cups of self raising flour with
3 teaspoons of baking powder stirred in

beating as you go.

When the batter is nice and mixed, pour it into two greased and floured 8 inch cake tins. ( I also put parchment paper on the bottom of my pans.... !)
bake for about 25 minutes at 375 degrees until it is golden brown on top and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.

Variations
For the cherry cake simply drop a handful of pitted cherries randomly around the batter when it is in the pans. I also made one where I replaced half the water with cherry juice and added the cherries... oh so good!

The author of the recipe also suggests using coffee instead of water for a coffee cake or replacing and 8th of a cup of the flour with cocoa powder for a chocolate cake. For a toffee cake replace the plain sugar with muscovado or really sticky brown sugar.....use your imagination, it's a wonderful, quick and easy cake that tastes DEEE licious! : D

Enjoy!!

1 comment:

Risa said...

Sounds delicious! I'll have to try it for our "Risa's lived in the same house for 5 years (a personal record) party!" (Sept 1 is the date, BTW).